Thursday, March 4, 2010

Investigators on way after waves kill cruise passengers


A Louis Cruise Lines ship traveling off the coast of Spain was hit by three waves, each one about 26 feet (8 meters) high. It happened 24 miles off Cabo de San Sebastian. These "abnormal" waves killed two cruise passengers. Maltese government officials were sent to investigate the deaths. The two people killed, both male, one Italian and one German, were on deck five when the waves hit. They smashed five windows on the bow of the 14-deck ship. Vito Sgobba, the cruise ship's hotel manager, rushed to the scene immediately after the waves hit. The two deceased died instantly; they were brought to the ship's hospital but they didn't make it there alive. The victims were a German man, 69, from North Rhine Westphalia, and an Italian man, 52, who was traveling with his family. Fourteen other passengers were treated for light injuries. The next cruise has been canceled, and the ship is currently in Barcelona for repairs.

This article shocked me when I read it. I went on a cruise myself about 5 years ago, and I never imagined that something like this could happen. I assumed that many precautions were taken to avoid this sort of thing, but I guess you can't be guaranteed safety on a cruise ship. I'm wondering, though, if the families of the two deceased men could file a lawsuit against the cruise ship company. Is the company liable for this freak accident that caused the death of two passengers? I think that, while no one was at fault for this accident, the families of the two men should be compensated in some way or another. The men were on their cruise ship at the time of the accident, so the company should be held responsible for any deaths that occurred there. People are dying in so many ways that I never even thought about lately; it's kind of upsetting to me how some of these deaths happen. Just when people think their safety is assured, something goes wrong, just like on this cruise ship. I'm sure it will make some people think twice about going on a cruise after this accident.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/03/04/spain.cruise.ship.wave/index.html?eref=rss_topstories&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+(RSS%3A+Top+Stories)

No comments:

Post a Comment